by Eric Miotto
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License
I'm a computer enthusiast for 18 years and a professional software developer with 10 years of experience.
I enjoy designing and writing clear, testable and maintainable applications; to achieve this I practice unit testing, I refactor ``legacy code'' and I employ object oriented and functional paradigms.
I get up to speed with new technologies and concepts in a short time and I am able to quickly troubleshoot issues with the programs I deal with (often without previous context).
I'm well versed in exploring new technologies to assess their characteristics and the problems they pose in their adoption. I employ both theory and experience to deliver software in a successful fashion.
I strive to continually improve my skills, to apply best practices in my daily work and to keep myself up to date.
The roles I fit best are Software Engineer and Software Engineer in Test (or equivalent roles). My application domains of interest are operating systems, compilers, developer tools and real-time/embedded systems.
01/2019 -- Ongoing: Swift Infrastructure Engineer, Apple, Cupertino (California, US)
Support and improvement of the quality of the Swift compiler
- Development of tools to streamline Swift compiler development and qualification
- Troubleshooting and maintainance of existing automation -- Python, Shell, CMake
- Triage and qualification of new Swift compilers
- Triage of CI infrastructure failures
01/2014 -- 01/2019: iOS Build Engineer, Apple, Cork (Ireland)
Execution of daily software builds of iOS and its related products.
- Troubleshooting of build, integration and infrastructure issues
- Contribution of small fixes to the tooling used -- Perl, Shell
10/2009 -- 01/2014: Programmer, BEDIN Shop Systems srl, Cornuda -- TV (Italy)
Development, maintenance and support of software for Points of Sale (.NET 3.5/4.0/4.5):
- development and (automatic) deployment of smart clients -- Windows Forms, SQL Compact, SQLite, Lucene.NET, ClickOnce
- development, deployment and monitoring of web services handling thousands of users -- WCF, Windows Azure, SQL Azure, Windows Azure Service Bus, ACS 2.0
Summers from 2003 to 2008: Training -- apprentice programmer, BEDIN Shop Systems srl, Cornuda -- TV (Italy)
- Development and maintenance of software for Points of Sale management (.NET 2.0/3.5)
- Implementation of a visual editor for documents and labels made with GDI+, using a retained mode graphics system
- Investigation on WPF as an alternative to Windows Forms
Education and training
10/2007--09/2009: Laurea Specialistica (Master's Degree) in Computer Science, Università degli Studi di Padova, Padua (Italy), 110/110 cum laude
Online and approximate algorighms, concurrency, distributed systems, cryptography, semantics of programming languages, static analysis, data warehouse, business intelligence, multimedia, hypermedia, audio/video compression, bioinformatics, real-time systems, information retrieval, wireless networks, ITIL v2, abstract algebra, constraint programming, machine learning
Programming, algorithms, software engineering, relational databases, SQL , XML, probability, statistics, logic, operational research, programming languages, linear algebra, mathematical analisys, computer architectures, operating systems, networks, automata, numerical analysis, artificial intelligence, discreet mathematics, security
Computer science (programming, operating systems, DBMS, boolean logic), mathematics (analysis, integral, derivatives), electronics (transistors, operational amplifiers, logical ports), statistics (probability, stochastics variables)
Methodologies and concepts
Object oriented paradigm, functional paradigm, design, profiling, distributed systems, compensation, bug tracking, single responsibility principle, unit testing, separation of concerns, test automation, build automation, backward compatibility and versioning, legacy code, refactoring, troubleshooting, timely escalation of issues, debugging, code reading, Getting Things Done
- Mother tougue
- Fluent, Able to handle written and spoken technical conversations
According to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEF) level
- Listening: B2 -- Independent User
- Reading: A1 -- Independent User
- Spoken interaction: A2 -- Basic User
- Spoken prodution: A2 -- Basic User
- Writing: B1 -- Independent user
In real life:
- I can read easily technical and narrative articles/books;
- I can watch films, tv series and YouTube shows (most of the times without the help of subtitles)
- I can handle technical conversation -- I'm able to interact to technical support to explain the issues I'm having and I can understand what it is told to me.
- Challenges in the Integration of domain-specific and scientific bodies of knowledge in Model-Driven Engineering
- Prof. Tullio Vardanega
- Outside examiner
- Prof. Gilberto Filè
- Technological investigation about problems and tools needed to introduce Model-Driven Engineering in the construction of software, in particular in the real-time field. The investigation was conducted within Eclipse (EMF, GMF, Papyrus).
- Translated Title
- A high-available service oriented architecture
- Original Italian Title
- Un’architettura orientata ai servizi che offra alta disponibilità
- Prof. Gilberto Filè
- Outside examiner
- Prof. Massimo Marchiori
- Industry supervisor
- Davide Bedin
- At BEDIN Shop Systems srl (Cornuda -- TV, Italy) development of a prototypal application for log transmission according to SOA principles using Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS). For the development I used unit testing, integration testing and coverage report